SANAS is directed and legally represented by a Board of Directors whose members are appointed by the Minister of Trade and Industry.
SANAS operates in accordance with the requirements, criteria, rules and regulations laid down in the following documents:
- The Accreditation for Conformity Assessment, Calibration and Good Laboratory Practice Act, 2006 (Act 19 of 2006);
- The requirements of the international standard ISO/IEC 17011: Conformity Assessment – General Requirements for Accreditation Bodies Accrediting Conformity Assessment Bodies;
- The requirements as stipulated in the various Memorandums of Agreement with the international bodies and the national regulatory bodies.
The Board delegates to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of SANAS the responsibility to implement the SANAS policies and objectives. The CEO delegates decisions concerning the granting, extending, suspending or withdrawing of accreditation to the Approval Committee Chairperson.
SANAS’s STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES are to:
- Provide accreditation support for industrial development and the protection of the health and safety of the public and the South African environment;
- Promote the acceptance of SANAS-accredited results nationally and amongst global partners to advance South Africa’s trade and economic development objectives;
- Support regional integration and relations to advance South Africa’s trade, industrial policy and economic development objectives; and
- Improve SANAS’s operational efficiency to deliver services with a spirit of excellence.